2010 Jul 17 18:39

Re: [vox-tech] Using Android phone to connect Linux laptop toInternet?

On 07/16/2010 04:58 PM, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Quick question.  My wife wants to get some new Android phones
> to replace our current ones, and it sounds like we can at the
> same time drop the Sprint cell modem that I've got right now
> for telecommuting purposes.
>
> HOWEVER, the guy at the store who was telling her about
> Android 2.2's "hotspot" feature mentioned software for
> Windows & Mac, which has caused hesitation.
>
> Does anyone out here know, off-hand, if we have this...
>
>   * T-Mobile
>   * Android phone (e.g., a 2.2 one with this hotspot feature)
>   * Linux laptop
>
> ...is it possible to get the laptop onto the Internet?
> Is there a bandwidth limit or overage charges?
>
> The Sprint modem we're paying ~$60/mo for has _no limit_, which is why
> we haven't just tried doing some USB-cable nonsense that I'm fairly
> sure I can do, even with my ancient Android 1.6(?) phone.
>

> If I find time to research it and come up with an answer, I'll
> post it.  In the meantime, I'm hoping someone out here just
> knows already. ;)

Looks possible based on poking around the internet
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Note this appears to require that you use something like
http://unrevoked.com/ to make it work, but it appears safe and not
against terms of service from sprint
(http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/94/t/3692.aspx)

The fact that they say software for Win/Mac is probably a couple of things.
1. It might be like the software that comes with a router, which
basically just opens a browser to the url of your router.
2. A disclaimer that they won't offer support for other systems.