2010 Jun 24 19:30

Re: [vox-tech] NAS/Printer Server/Web Server?

Re: [vox-tech] NAS/Printer Server/Web Server?

Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev@wildintellect.com):

> I was going to go with RAID 1 using 2 TB drives. Got a line on 2TB
> externals with longer than 1 year warranties (since buying drives
> themselves comes with 3). At a cost difference of $150(Sheeva is about
> $100, the ReadyNAS is $250) I don't see myself saving much buying cases
> and drives.

As I just mentioned, my server's running a degraded RAID1 pair at the
moment (failed drive), which is why I picked up a 2 TB external
USB/Firewire thing as a bandaid.  (It makes ensuring that I've made
safety copies of key filesystems frequently really easy.)

http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2010-June/005493.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2010-June/005495.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2010-June/005510.html

The thing is a Hitachi HSD2000 'SimpleDrive'; $150, 1yr warranty.
I was/am really very short on time for screwing around with hardware, so
the first simple, realiable-tech solution I could find at Microcenter
won.

(I'm not posting it to claim it's great or to recommend it, just to say
that it solved a problem of the moment.  The data-saving solution you
actually do that works wins over the better solution that you never get
to.)

> That would also be 3 power plugs instead of one....

Single points of failure are bad.  Power strips or PDUs with master
switches on them are cheap.  (FWIW, the Hitachi spins down and shuts off
if the attached host powers off.)

> What do you think about the RAID case for $50 I posted in the other part
> of the thread? Seems to be the same as buying 2 reliable single drive cases?

Nope.  SPoF.  And why are you calling that a 'RAID case'?  Looks like a
JBoD to me.