2010 Jun 24 17:30

[vox-tech] NAS/Printer Server/Web Server?

[vox-tech] NAS/Printer Server/Web Server?

So I need to replace my dying NAS/Print server and was contemplating a
low power web server (5-10 watts) so I could stop leaving a
workstation/server on all the time.

Aside from the massive question of what to get, there's the tricky part
of should this be 1 device or 2?

It seems like a NAS with hardware RAID and 2-4 drives and 2-4 usb ports
would do the trick nicely, but I'm having a hard time finding out how
much power these things take and many of them seem to have custom linux
setups with oddities that would prevent me from saying running
apache/mod_wsgi/trac or plone (the 2 things I use for my websites).

Is the trade-off of a less flexible linux install for a simpler
printer/network share config worth it? (I've done a samba printer share
before but it took me several days to figure out)

Anyone have any suggestions about devices?

I've been poking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122022
http://www.amazon.com/fit-PC-Slim-Diskless/dp/B001L4I9HK
and some other similar stuff...