2010 Jun 06 22:20

Re: [vox-tech] tcpreplay play back at same speed?

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 01:10:51AM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:
> On 06/03/2010 10:38 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > Does tcpreplay play back at the same speed the pcap file was captured?
>
> Unless I'm misreading the manpage, yes.  Unless of course you tell it to
> use --topspeed, or use one of the acceleration features like
> --multiplier, or --sleep-accel.

Excellent. The duration of the connections is an attribute I searching
for. I used it to play capture data last night and it seemed to be
working. I wasn't sure though.

> > Also, is there a way to make the dummy0 ethernet so that it is writable
> > by my user id?
>
> Hrm, what's the goal?  To allow users to send arbitrary packets?  Or to
> let users think they are sending arbitrary packets?  Depending on what
> you want it might be easiest to just have sudo allow running the
> particular command.

Well, I want to use tcpreplay to play back the capture file and have the
Network Intrusion Detection System (NIDS) that I am developing listen to
the dummy device. I am doing an integration into nProbe. I can use my
regular user and run the program and it will suck up the capture file,
but it does it as fast as it can and I lose all timing data. Thus, I
created a dummy0 ethernet device, use tcpreplay to play to it and then
the nProbe sucks it up. Right now, I run nProbe as root. It seems that
there ought to be a way that you can add an attribute to the dummy0
ethernet device.

I can't seem to find the device and it there is no evidence of it in
udev either.

brian
--
Brian Lavender