2010 May 11 19:39

Re: [vox-tech] Looking for a Sunbird (Google Calendar) replacement

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Scott Miller (scottlinux@gmail.com):
>
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/download.html
>>
>> Yeah looks like sunbird is not in development anymore. Their site says
>>
>> "This is the last public Sunbird release by the Calendar Project.
>> We recommend upgrading to Thunderbird 3 and Lightning 1.0 beta1."
>
> I should note that Lightning basically _is_ Sunbird.
>
> Sunbird was a bunch of XUL interpreted code for iCAL / CalDAV / DAViCal
> functionality atop the Mozilla portable runtime.  Lightning is
> that same XUL code refactored to run on the Mozilla portable runtime
> inside Thunderbird 3.0.x or SeaMonkey 2.0.
>
> It might be possible to run it on Firefox's copy of the Mozilla portable
> runtime, though that's not addressed in the Web site's docs.  Seems
> likely that there's been enough rewriting to accomodate Thunderbird 3 as
> host that that might be nontrivial.

	While I understand that Lightning is really Sunbird it is
	not a standalone client. It requires having Thunderbird up
	and running.

	I really want a true standalone client which does not require
	any Internet connection, this is where Sunbird was a major
	win over Lightning.

							Tony