2010 Apr 23 09:22

Re: [vox-tech] Journal recovery on every reboot

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 08:33 -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 09:03:05AM -0500, Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> > My laptop (running Debian sid) running EXT-4 journal recovery on every
> > reboot, even when I shut down properly.
> >
> > Any idea why this is happening, and how to fix it?
>
> I would think that the kernel unmounts the root file system at every
> shutdown, but I forget where that happens.
>
> I would start by running a rescue disk and attempting to mount and
> unmount it. Here are some ext4 commands including a tunefs command, but
> it is indicated for ext3 -> ext4 migration.

I should clarify. It has nothing to do with ext3 -> ext4 migration,
unless the fstab is sensitive to it. The disk is ext3, and so the kernel
was detecting the drive as ext3 -- and when that happened, I got EXT-3
journal recovery on every reboot. So on the thought that maybe the fstab
was sensitive to that (and becasue I really would like the ext4 driver)
I added rootfstype=ext4 to my bootup options. It didn't fix the problem,
it just changed it from EXT-3 journal recovery to EXT-4 journal
recovery.
OK. Poking around a bit more, innserv seems to be the
culprit. /etc/init.d/umountroot isn't getting run on shutdown, because
both /etc/init.d/halt and /etc/init.d/umountroot are getting the same
priority to start in runlevels 0 and 6 (i.e. S01halt, and
S01umountroot), so you can guess which one gets run first.