2010 Apr 21 19:04

Re: [vox-tech] Loop variants should be integers!

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 08:02:16PM -0500, Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 17:48 -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > So, I am switching my loop variants ("i" in this case) to integers. Here
> > is convincing evidence. ;-)
> >
> > http://archive.eiffel.com/doc/faq/variant.html
> >
> > I recently met a guy at SacJUG who lived next door to Bertrand Meyer! He
> > said he might be able to convince him to come and speak here in the
> > Sacramento Area. Would that be cool or what?!!!
> >
> > Of course, if I had used Eiffel for this program, I could have put an
> > invariant condition on i, such that it is never less than zero greater
> > than the number of elements in the array.
> >
> > brian
>
> This requires that they be integers as opposed to floating point
> numbers. It doesn't require that they be signed ints (as opposed to
> unsigned).

I guess you are correct. I was just thinking that 4 billion is not less
than 0.

I just discovered nana. It appears you to do much the same stuff that
is in Eiffel in C.

I can put an invariant condition around the loop and all should be
good!!!! Now that I disovered what was wrong with my code of curse,
it shouldn't be much of a problem now.

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/nana

Well, I need to check it out. I am a little tired now. Probably should
get some rest before I annoy everyone on the list with half field antics.

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
- H. L. Mencken