2010 Mar 07 23:07

Re: [vox-tech] proxy server

Tnx a bunch Nick! I need a while to digest and test it - will definitely let u know how it goes...

On Mar 8, 2010 1:44 AM, "Nick Schmalenberger" <nick@schmalenberger.us> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 08:14:58PM -0500, Hai Yi wrote:
> hello all:
>
> Is it possble to install a...

If they can ssh to you, you can give them shell accounts and then
they can use ssh as a SOCKS proxy. I use this with the foxyproxy
firefox extension but the builtin proxy manager works as well for
single configurations. If it is allowed on the server, you just
run ssh -D 8080 or some other port above 1024 on the client and
then the ssh client is a proxy server listening to localhost on
that port. Its very easy and secure. Also check out mod_proxy in
apache, I haven't used this myself but I think it works with just
http.

You could also have the ssh server listen to tcp port 443
or 80 if port 22 is blocked in china but not the ssh protocol
itself. I have mine listen to 443 and its useful where only 80
and 443 are allowed in a stateless firewall.
Nick Schmalenberger