2010 Feb 21 21:20

Re: [vox-tech] Fwd: When I boot my server all it says is "GRUB"

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 01:01:43PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> David tried to post this to 'vox' from an unsubscribed address,
> so it got discarded by mailman.
>
> I'm passing it along to 'vox-tech', since it's more appropriate
> for that list, than for 'vox'.  Also Cc'ing LERT coordinators,
> in case anyone is around and can perhaps do a housecall.
>
> -bill!
>
> ----- Forwarded message from vox-bounces@lists.lugod.org -----
>
> The attached message has been automatically discarded.
> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:04:08 -0800
> From: David Spencer <spencer@pageweavers.com>
> Subject: When I boot my server all it says is "GRUB"
> To: vox@lists.lugod.org
>
> Hey guys. I was fiddling with my servers this afternoon. I rebooted one of them and all it says is GRUB. WTF?
>
> The system in question is a Dell SC1425 with drives in a RAID 1. The OS is CENTOS 4.8 . What what it's worth, I recently ran a yum update on Thursday (two days ago).
>
> Any ideas what I can do? I have it booted at the moment using the linux rescue mode but what should I be looking at?
>
> Thanks!

In rescue, try to mount the root filesystem, and /boot if it is a
separate filesystem. Then chroot to the mountpoint of the root
filesystem ("chroot /mnt" or something), and do "grub-install
(hd0)" (the grub way of saying the disk) or "grub-install
/dev/sda" or /dev/sda1 or whichever disk/partition is the root
filesystem. I'm not sure if its more appropriate to install grub
on the disk or partition but I don't think it hurts to try both.
While the root filesystem is mounted you can also make any
corrections to the menu.lst if needed.
Nick Schmalenberger