2010 Feb 10 12:51

Re: [vox-tech] LINUX installation question windows Vista

Re: [vox-tech] LINUX installation question windows Vista

1. Backup your stuff before trying any of this.

Having dealt with this at previous installfests, it's unfortunately not
that easy. It usually requires that you break Windows and Recover it
with the OS Disc (Though one of these mentions another way, I've never
tried it, so proceed at your own risk)
Though here are 2 pages that walk you through how to "move" those
unmovable files:
http://thpc.info/how/use_gparted_to_resize_windows_7_vista_partition.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

To answer your other question, yes you can install to an external
device. If the device is plugged in when you boot the install disc you
should be able to pick it as your install location. The main choice will
be at the end, whether to install grub on the 1st drive or on the
device. Since we're probably talking about a usb drive, you can install
grub on the usb drive as long as your bios supports bootable usb.

Alex