2010 Jan 21 12:25

Re: [vox-tech] .jpg Mystery

I'd get a dump of all metadata via the ImageMagick "identify" command

http://www.econowics.com/linux/258/show-image-properties-meta-data-from-cli-linux/

I'd also try to get the current date and time from the camera that
took the photo, and see if that camera model auto-adjusts for daylight
savings time. Also, some cameras seem to go for a hybrid approach:
time is updated from the computer:

http://fleetingglimpseimages.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/setback-for-digital-cameras/

If that was happening with the camera that took the photo, then I
don't see how you can know what the timestamp on the photo represents
for sure. Was the computer using NTP to get the correct time? Or had
the computer time drifted? Was DST being observed correctly by the
computer? Had someone maliciously changed the computer's time?

For that matter, what's to stop someone from just changing the EXIF
metadata to give the photo a different timestamp?