2010 Jan 20 20:17

Re: [vox-tech] Fired up Liferay

Brian Lavender wrote:
> At the Liferay demo, I asked if it could manage your LDAP server. I
> thought that Wilson said that you could not. It seems like the number of
> tools out there to manage your directory server are pretty weak. There
> is jxplorer http://jxplorer.org/ , but it's more a tree browser than an
> administrator tool. I suppose you could use it that way, but it sure
> would be nice to have it where you could manage your users with an
> customized end user app.
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:17:46AM -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:
>> I fired up Lifereay on my Netbook. It took a bit to fire up, but it
>> looks pretty cool. Does anyone know how to get it to listen to any ip
>> address rather than just localhost? I would like to test it on a server.
>>
>> brian
>> --

I agree, and having spent some time looking I've come up with squat.
There seem to be a few things out there to try but haven't gotten around
to it. Talking to some folks who manage things like LDAP, they
specifically ask CMS/Portal makers - can this edit my LDAP passwords and
if the answer is yes they decline to use it. It seems that most people
want to partition the 2 and only give the CMS read-only access for
security reasons.

As for you ip question, the normal way most projects like this work is
that you run Apache in front of it and do rewrite or proxy to the local
instance on port whatever. That way you can server more than one app on
port 80. If you poke around the control panel though I'm sure you'll
find the virtual host settings he showed, that's where you'd set the url
and ip, etc.

Alex