2010 Jan 05 23:31

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Uploading an image to Wikipedia (licensing)

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Uploading an image to Wikipedia (licensing)

Wikipedia requires the image use a free license, which they define to mean one which allows both commercial use and derivative work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_copyright_tags/Free_licenses

In creative commons terms, that allows licenses that require attribution (by) and the "viral" share alike (sa) clause (like GSL for software), but not creative commons licenses that require non-commercial (nc) use only or allow no derivative (nd) works to be based on the content.  You should let your friend know that "to use this image on wikipedia" means others can use the image commercially and they can make derivative works based on the image.  If both of those are okay, then you can upload it.

So it doesn't have to be BSD style / public domain (it can require either/both attribution and share-alike), but it does have to allow commercial and derivative use.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_copyright_tags/Deprecated  Hope that helps.

-Carl

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Bill Broadley <bill@broadley.org> wrote:

> Does anyone understand the Wikipedia policy and/or has a higher
> tolerance for understanding licenses than I do (which is admittedly
> very low).  My sense is that the image owner wants his picture to be
> used for the Wikipedia article, but may be unwilling to allow the
> image to be used for commercial purposes.

I believe the basic idea is that photos much be completely free to be on
wikipedia, much like the bsd license which allows a company to both use and
modify without contributing back the changes.  Both commercial, non
commercial, and non wikipedia use much be allowed.  So unless it's public
domain you can't use it.  Thus the terrible photos for most hollywood folks.

So saying "Wikipedia may use it" is not enough.

Carl Boettiger
Population Biology, UC Davis
http://two.ucdavis.edu/~cboettig