Re: [vox-tech] Legal Ethics Tech Question

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Was this Geek Squad?  I've heard tons of bad things about those
> guys.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear other tech repair people
> are just as bad.  (It's kind of like that video I saw a while back

I had a problem with one computer store. Apparently they felt nothing of
copying games from peoples computers. The guy said "hell most of them are
illegal copies that we are copying". I was pissed. Nothing on my machine
is an illegal copy. And one of the games they copied was an unreleased
beta that I had signed a non-disclosure contract on.

>> <personal note>
>> A friend of mine was over in Napa when another person dropped off their
>> computer for recycling. My friend asked if he could have the computer
>> instead. He came away with the computer and we found the hard drive
>> was NOT wripped clean of data.
>
> That is mind boggling.  That's like "here's a free filing cabinet",
> without bothering to empty it.

I have a bunch of machines in my garage that arent wiped. I dont remember
whats on the hard drives. I added a USB external drive dock to my xmas
wishlist. I would like to recover old programming code and such, then
reformat them. Maybe even use them like floppies for making backups.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fregistry%2Fwishlist%2FXK5Y1Y775VOW&tag=anyonecannet-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

Gandalf  Parker
--
MY WIFE LIKES ME TO PLAY MMORPGs.
It lets me packrat without cluttering the garage.