Re: [vox-tech] Legal Ethics Tech Question

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 06:38:07PM -0800, Tony Cratz wrote:
> 	Do you use an outside person or firm to repair your firms
> 	computers? Have you heard of the news where a chain store
> 	employee copied personal pictures of the family and put them
> 	up on the Internet? Why was the employee looking through the
> 	file system?

Was this Geek Squad?  I've heard tons of bad things about those
guys.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear other tech repair people
are just as bad.  (It's kind of like that video I saw a while back
of a car dealership worker stealing quarters out of a guy's
car when it was in for maintenance.)

> <personal note>
> A friend of mine was over in Napa when another person dropped off their
> computer for recycling. My friend asked if he could have the computer
> instead. He came away with the computer and we found the hard drive
> was NOT wripped clean of data.

That is mind boggling.  That's like "here's a free filing cabinet",
without bothering to empty it.

Except worse, because computers keep an amazing breadcrumb trail of
what you do.  Chat logs, browser history/cache/form-fill-ins/etc.  Yikes.