[vox-tech] Et tu, Debian

Recent news that some MS users are locked out of their files by a screw up at MSN.
Well, Debian has me locked out of some files. I have some data in an encrypted
file system and I use loopback and cryptsetup to get to it. I very recently installed
lenny for amd64, then today after I installed cryptsetup I found it would not run.
Error message:
Command failed: Incompatible libdevmapper 1.02.27 (2008-06-25)(compat) and kernel driver
There is only one version of libdevmapper on the debian site for stable, testing and unstable.
There is a different verion of cryptsetup for testing (I'm running stable) but it won't install
due to other conflicts. Despite the version in the error message, ldd shows that
cryptsetup is looking for libdevmapper.so.1.02.1
The debian site gives 1.02.1 as the version of the package but says the library is at
version 1.02.27

Can anyone make sense of this?

Richard harke