Re: [vox-tech] 2 Network cards not getting along

Alex Mandel wrote:
> This is probably a strange use case, and I'm aware it's not optimum but
> I need to get it to work while a more long term solution is discussed.
>
> I have a server
> It has 2 network cards
> card 1 is serving a website to the world and is on subnet 1
> card 2 is serving a database, and samba share and is on subnet 2
>
> While card 2 is turned on, people on subnet 2 are unable to see the
> website, though the rest of the world can. It doesn't matter if they use
> the domain name, the subnet 1 ip or the subnet 2 ip address, they all
> timeout. If I turn card 2 off everybody can see the website.

	I have not seen any response to this so let me try a couple
	of suggestions.

	1) Create a static route on the second network to route the
	webserver IP to the main server.

	2) Use a static route to route from the internal network
	to the second NIC card on the web server.

	3a) Create an internal DNS server which is master for the
	web server zone.

	3b) Have all internal systems use the new name server.

	4) Have your gateway/router set up to route between the
	internal network and the web server (works much like a
	static route but you don't have to set it up on all of the
	systems).

	I like options #3 and #4. For myself my gateway/router does
	this for me. If you use both #3 and #4 you are better off.

	If you would like to talk about this more please contact
	me off list.

							Tony