2009 Nov 24 16:19

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu not booting after Kernel update

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu not booting after Kernel update

> I think I understand what you're saying, but I believe the argument
> for simplicity is more compelling from the point of view of the person
> using the application, not the application itself.

Over a decade-plus of observing, 100% of those seemed to amount to
"I messed with my boot files or MBR, and then forgot to re-run sbin/lilo
to make sure I had a bootable config before rebooting."  Those holes in
people's feet did hurt, though, I'm sure, even if the bullets were fired
downwards.

> Based on the amount of hair pulling, simplicity for me goes to Grub,
> easily.  I can't recall the last time I had to diagnose a Grub issue.

I don't either, because I make sure my system's bootable after any
fooling with the boot files and before rebooting.  However, other
people seem to have problems, which are then made considerably more
difficult by GRUB's indisputably far greater complexity.  E.g., read
this thread, which I believe may still be unresolved:

http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2009-October/005061.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2009-October/005062.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2009-November/005063.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2009-November/005092.html