2009 Nov 19 08:51

Re: [vox-tech] Wired & Wireless connection problems - Jaunty KDE4.3

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 03:10:28PM -0800, Thomas Johnston wrote:
> But, my labmate has a live CD of karmic koala.  I booted that (making
> no permanent changes to my computer) and the wired connection worked
> immediately.  However, no wireless connections were available.  Via
> the wired connection I downloaded & activated the recommended STA
> driver for my wireless adapter and then was able to connect to both
> moobilenet and the unencrypted wireless AP my labmate has running in
> our lab.  (I couldn't connect to moobilenetx, but if I played around
> with the settings I could probably get that working, too).

In that case, it might be a configuration problem for the wired
connection. You have the same ethernet card I do, and you're using the
same modules for it. It could be wicd's improperly configuring
/etc/network/interfaces. See if you can get connected manually by dhcp:

sudo ifconfig eth0 down
sudo ifconfig eth0 up
sudo dhclient eth0 (or sudo dhcpcd eth0)

If that doesn't work, try using a static IP address. You'll have to
deduce one from one of your labmates(?) wired IP addresses (or the one
you get in Ubuntu 9.10):

sudo ifconfig eth0 abc.def.ghi.jkl broadcast abc.def.ghi.255 \
netmask 255.255.255.0
sudo route add default gw mno.pqr.stu.vwx eth0
sudo bash -c "echo -e \"nameserver 208.67.222.222\\nnameserver \
208.67.220.220\" > /etc/resolv.conf"

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 are the OpenDNS nameservers.

Replace abc.def.ghi.jkl with your desired IP address, abc.def.ghi.255
with your desired broadcast address, 255.255.255.0 with your desired
netmask address, and mno.pqr.stu.vwx with your gateway address. Example:
If abc.def.ghi.jkl is 192.168.1.100,
abc.def.ghi.jkl could be 192.168.1.255,
255.255.255.0 could be 255.255.255.0, and
mno.pqr.stu.vwx could be 192.168.1.1

Have you "apt-get remove --purge"d knetworkmanager and network-manager,
by the way? That should ensure that there won't be conflicts between
knetworkmanager and wicd.

-Eric