2009 Nov 13 04:56

Re: [vox-tech] which offer is better?

Not really obvious to me either, tho I have to disagree with Pete, the telecom job could be a ton of fun, at least for awhile.

I'd probably go with the higher salary or if they're equal, probably the device driver job, if your friend enjoys system programming or the telecom if your friend doesn't.

I don't think either job would pigeonhole your friend if that's what he/she is worried about.  However, I would get used to the fact that the first job you do is not likely what you will do for your entire career.  I personally have done web programming, systems programming, business app programming, and I have returned to web programming.  So at least IMO you should have a diverse skill set and be willing to do much, because you never know when you'll get laid off.

Mike
From: vox-tech-bounces@lists.lugod.org [vox-tech-bounces@lists.lugod.org] On Behalf Of Peter Jay Salzman [p@dirac.org]
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 9:23 PM
To: lugod's technical discussion forum
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] which offer is better?

Not obvious to me.  Depends on the telecommunications platform, I'd suppose.
If it's something used around the world like a 5ESS, 4ESS, or DMS-100, then
I really don't know.  It's a specialized thing, and there can't be too many
4ESS programmers around (on the other hand, these things have been around
since the 80s, so maybe I'm wrong about that).  I'd think those guys are
paid well.

I know which one sounds more fun (and it ain't telecommunications
programming)...   ;-)

Pete