2009 Nov 12 22:22

Re: [vox-tech] which offer is better?

Hai Yi wrote:
> Hello, one of my friends got two offers recently, one is related to
> Linux device programming, they go like this:

Heh, the right answer IMO, is the one that makes the programmer happier.  User
space programming is quite different than kernel.  IMO if you are good you'll
have good job prospects in either case.

> Offer 1: telecommunications software developer
> Responsibilities:  develop a system for monitoring all the functions
> of the operations of the telephone service platform

Depends somewhat on the platform it's written in.

> Offer 2:linux driver developer

Have a well written device driver on your resume would be good resume fodder.
 Doubly so if it's open source.  It's hard to convince your next employer that
you are an awesome programmer without being able to show them your work.

> Which offer will provide a better career?
>
> I think Linux offer might have a bigger job market, isn't it?

The one that appeals to you more is likely to inspire you to do a better job,
and be better for the future of your career.