2009 Oct 29 01:46

Re: [vox-tech] Fwd: Very slow off net

Rick Moen wrote:

> By the way, IMO, you really should consider running and using a local
> recursive DNS nameserver.

I'd suggest adding caching in there somewhere, probably assumed.

> Doing so improve performance a great deal
> over using your "router on your home network", which almost certainly is
> merely a forwarder.

Agreed.  Large ISPs (like pacbell) often have overloaded DNS, not to mention
the DNS is often on the wrong end of a busy network.

I suggest unbound.

>  It'll also improve performance over using OpenDNS,

Sort of.  For cache hits, yes.  For cache misses, not to much.  OpenDNS tries
to keep a rather large fraction of the zones caches.  So just when things are
the worst (say a site is so busy it's having a hard time keeping up with dns
requests) opendns often will quickly give you the dns record you need.

> along with not giving the operators of that service detailed
> information about your Internet activity

Sure, so only your ISP instead of opendns and your ISP knowing everywhere you
visit.

, _and_ (unlike OpenDNS) it
> would actually implement DNS technical standards correctly (i.e.,
> correctly answering "NXDOMAIN" when that's the truth).

NXDOMAIN does bug me, I believe that optional if you login/create an account.

Oh, almost forgot.  I'd recommend unbound as a local caching recursive server.
 It's DNSSEC and DLV aware, seems to be rather well written for a specific
purpose.  Lean, mean, easy to configure, and more secure than many defaults.

Apt-get install unbound if you are on ubuntu.