2009 Oct 14 09:45

Re: [vox-tech] Neverwinter Nights on Linux

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 15:27 -0700, Darth Borehd wrote:
> I play the Linux version of Neverwinter Nights a lot and have no
> issues except one annoying one.
>
> When playing in fullscreen mode, there seems to be no way to minimize,
> move, switch applications, or change desktops.  All of my hotkeys seem
> to be taken over by the game.  The only ones that work are the the
> CTRL+ALT+F# keys to bring up other consoles.  The only way back to the
> Gnome desktop is exiting the game completely.  I really want to to be
> able to check emails and IMs without having to leave.  I play on a
> public server so I can't just save the game and load back where I was.
>
> I can edit the .ini file to AllowWindowedMode=1 but it has no effect.
> I can change fullscreen=1 to fullscreen=0 and be locked into playing
> in windowed mode with no option to maximize or go fullscreen, which I
> don't prefer.
>
> I tried googling how to fix it and found just references to
> instructions on a now defunct webpage.
>
> Anybody else have a copy of the referenced instructions or have any
> other ideas?
>
> I run Ubuntu 9.04 and have the proprietary nvidia drivers.

Try the internet archive?

http://web.archive.org/web/20080401005014/http://home.woh.rr.com/nwmovies/libsdl.html

The solution apparently involves a patch for SDL, but the latest patch
there is for SDL 1.2.11, and I have 1.2.13 in Debian/sid. I hope it's
not too hard to update.

--Ken