2009 Oct 04 12:58

Re: [vox-tech] Router annoyances (again!)

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Also, when I have the 'destination' problem when pinging, I see the following
> when I do a "route -n".  What's this about?
>
>   Kernel IP routing table
>   Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
>   192.168.2.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
>   169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 eth1
>   0.0.0.0         192.168.2.1     0.0.0.0         UG    100    0        0 eth1

RFC 3330 says:
 > 169.254.0.0/16 - This is the "link local" block.  It is allocated for
 >    communication between hosts on a single link.  Hosts obtain these
 >    addresses by auto-configuration, such as when a DHCP server may not
 >    be found.

So, just guessing, maybe this is popping up when DHCP is not working?
You might make sure DHCP is set up properly in the router, has a big
enough pool of addresses to allocate from, and that no other device is
acting as a DHCP server.  Or avoid DHCP entirely and assign IPs
statically.  Also this might be in some way related to wifi sometimes
failing, either due to distance or RF interference.

For what it's worth I have a Netgear WGR614L wireless router that I
installed Tomato onto, and never had any trouble with it.

Rod