January 6: Social gathering
2009 Oct 02 12:17

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu - Configuring Printers

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu - Configuring Printers

No, it didn't.  It's weird because in screenshots on the web I saw something
like "Add local printer" in the Kubuntu system tool thingie, but it didn't
show up for me.

But now it works, so I'm happy.

But if the system tool uses cups as a back-end, then perhaps it's not
surprising since cups is broken when AppArmor is running.

I guess in some respects I'm like a dinosaur -- I've been using BSD lpd
since my Redhat 5.1 days.  I remember when cups came out; it seemed so
needlessly complicated compared to good old lpd.  Didn't want to mess with a
working system, so I never used cups.

And since I have all my .configs, GUI tools always seemed superfluous
compared to command line configuration.  But I think that's because I still
remember the "good" ol Redhat 5.1/hamm days when you were lucky to get an X
server running a few days after you installed the system...

Now I'm wrestling with getting svnserve to allow remote access to my
repositories.  It doesn't appear to be reading the passwd file, and from
Googling, it appears that svnserve logging has always been on the "todo"
list, but never actually implemented.  Argh!  I think I might have to resort
to stracing svnserve to see what it's doing when I try to commit remotely.
Argh^2!

On Fri 02 Oct 09,  9:38 AM, Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> said:
> System -> Administration -> Printing -> New
>
> didn't work?
>
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 11:04:23PM -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Newly installed Kubuntu 9.04.  So far, everything has gone very smoothly.
> > Getting my printer to print is the first snag.
> >
> > I have a parallel port HP LaserJet 6MP.  I have the working /etc/printcap
> > file from my previous Debian installation, but I'd like to set up the
> > printer using the Kubuntu Way.  I noticed Kubuntu comes with cups.
> >
> > What is the Kubuntu Way of configuring a printer?
> >

> > The correct modules are loaded:
> >
> >    # lsmod | grep par
> >    parport_pc             40100  1
> >    parport                42220  3 lp,ppdev,parport_pc
> >
> > The proper device file is being created by udev:
> >
> >    # ll /dev/lp0
> >    crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 2009-09-28 01:54 /dev/lp0
> >
> > The printer appears to be recognized at boot-time:
> >
> >    parport_pc 00:08: reported by Plug and Play ACPI
> >    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, using FIFO [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP]
> >    ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
> >    lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
> >
> > However, weird stuff happens later on in boot-up:
> >
> >    ppdev0: registered pardevice
> >    ppdev0: unregistered pardevice
> >    lp0: ECP mode
> >    ppdev0: registered pardevice
> >    ppdev0: negotiated back to compatibility mode because user-space forgot
> >    ppdev0: unregistered pardevice
> >    type=1503 audit(1254449721.984:5): operation="sysctl" requested_mask="::r"
> >       denied_mask="::r" fsuid=7 name="/proc/sys/crypto/fips_enabled" pid=29213
> >       profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd"
> >    ppdev0: registered pardevice
> >    ppdev0: unregistered pardevice
> >    (repeats this a few times)
> >
> > I don't appear to have EPP mode:
> >
> >    # cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes
> >    PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP
> >
> > But none of this may matter; I'm not sure.  How does one configure a printer
> > under Ubuntu 9.04?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Pete
>
> --
> Brian Lavender
> http://www.brie.com/brian/

Last night I dreamt of 09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
Facebook: http://facebook.com/coffeeAchiever

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today   p@dirac.org
is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent  http://www.dirac.org
are full of doubt"   ---   Bertrand Russell