January 6: Social gathering
2009 Oct 02 22:14

[vox-tech] Ubuntu - Configuring Printers

[vox-tech] Ubuntu - Configuring Printers

Hi all,

Newly installed Kubuntu 9.04.  So far, everything has gone very smoothly.
Getting my printer to print is the first snag.

I have a parallel port HP LaserJet 6MP.  I have the working /etc/printcap
file from my previous Debian installation, but I'd like to set up the
printer using the Kubuntu Way.  I noticed Kubuntu comes with cups.

What is the Kubuntu Way of configuring a printer?

The correct modules are loaded:

   # lsmod | grep par
   parport_pc             40100  1
   parport                42220  3 lp,ppdev,parport_pc

The proper device file is being created by udev:

   # ll /dev/lp0
   crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 2009-09-28 01:54 /dev/lp0

The printer appears to be recognized at boot-time:

   parport_pc 00:08: reported by Plug and Play ACPI
   parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, using FIFO [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP]
   ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
   lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

However, weird stuff happens later on in boot-up:

   ppdev0: registered pardevice
   ppdev0: unregistered pardevice
   lp0: ECP mode
   ppdev0: registered pardevice
   ppdev0: negotiated back to compatibility mode because user-space forgot
   ppdev0: unregistered pardevice
   type=1503 audit(1254449721.984:5): operation="sysctl" requested_mask="::r"
      denied_mask="::r" fsuid=7 name="/proc/sys/crypto/fips_enabled" pid=29213
      profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd"
   ppdev0: registered pardevice
   ppdev0: unregistered pardevice
   (repeats this a few times)

I don't appear to have EPP mode:

   # cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/modes
   PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,ECP

But none of this may matter; I'm not sure.  How does one configure a printer
under Ubuntu 9.04?

Thanks!
Pete