2009 Sep 28 08:34

Re: [vox-tech] Quicktime/mov

Quoting aaronb@mcn.org (aaronb@mcn.org):

> Thank you everyone for the insight.  I'll have to find a workaround or
> another site that hosts movie trailers of a decent quality.
>
> I'm not socked to see this isn't the first time apple has done something
> like this.

Um...   Did you _read_ (as I suggested) the reader comments on
http://linux-blog.org/Apple-Denies-Linux-Access-To-Its-Movie-Trailers/ ?
A multitude of users, there, of various Linux x86 distributions reported
that they had encountered none of the problems reported in the
accusatory article at the head of the page (which was the one linked
from Reddit).  Moreover, several people posted ways he can easily work
around his problem without additional software.

All that everyone seems to agree about with article author "devnet" is
that his system has a problem, although other people with similar
systems do not.  For "devnet" to immediately accuse Apple, Inc. of a
nefarious plot to deny the trailers to everyone not using Apple
QuickTime software seems to exceed the facts.

It is also instructive that, even after something like ten commenters
to the site contested his claim, giving details of their systems,
"devnet" did not correct or qualify his assertions, but merely appended
an "update" justifying his claims by stating that he has "the proper
codecs" (which he fails to specify) and that trailers used to work but
broke, therefore it must be an Apple conspiracy.

This is not the first time that "devnet" (actual name apparently Derrick
Devine aka Derrick Penner) has made a great deal of noise over little or
nothing.  He and "helios" (Kenneth Starks) have been doing this sort of
thing for years, sometimes jointly and sometimes separately.  These
days, I make a point of regarding anything either of them says with
substantial skepticism.