2009 Sep 20 16:10

Re: [vox-tech] home server choice

Hai Yi wrote:
> first, i have already had my server running on a ubuntu box at home, i
> want to upgrade it to a more reliable solution since my data become
> more important.
> As to Tony's question, the services I need to have are: web pages,
> ssh, ftp, and svn; also as a media server for internal use.
> I have only a home router, but it's fine for me, at least for now; i
> don't really need a static IP, everytime it changes, I just re-route
> it, it doesn't happen too often.
> As of the hard disk, I am thinking of 1TB, and having a raid support,
> but I heard we can have it in a software way?

In my opinion, the most important element of setting up a home server is
backing up the "user data" and the "server configuration data", not as much
in selecting "robust" hardware.  All hardware fails, and in particular
in my house I seem to have problems with dust clogging up the fans
so I have to disassemble and clean them at least once a year (spring).

Note that backing up is different than archiving... it is a good idea
to archive data on different type of media, but backing up data (as with
BackupPC) seems most economically accomplished with additional spinning
hard disk platters.  Ideally this backup process would go offsite to a
service like rsync.net or spideroak.com [1], but for the volume of data
that I end up with the cost can add up quickly so I settle for local
backup.

Once your data is safe, the choice of hardware becomes much less critical.
I recently switched to using an MSI Wind PC like Scott Miller did
in order to reduce the noise and power consumption issues with my
old clunker hardware.

[...]

[1] These are not endorsements... I have not used either service.