2009 Sep 19 21:41

Re: [vox-tech] home server choice

Well any computer will work for a home server. From a random old
pentium laptop, some old donated pentium III machine, or a big
expensive $$$$ honkin' box.

That particular Dell is ok, but consider it is not quiet nor low
powered. Also it will require (noisy) SCSI drives ($$$$).

Redhat is great, but unless you need to pay Redhat for a support
contract there are other good free options. (Ubuntu!)

FWIW my home "server" is a $149 MSI Wind Atom-based box,

Scott

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 19:06, Hai Yi <yihai2004@gmail.com> wrote:
> I plan to have a stable server at home, as my data center.
> Some friend recommended Dell Precision 470, saying it's a workstation
> with server configuration and i can get it cheap from ebay; other
> recommended to build a machine (if this is a better idea, can i have a
> part list?)
> I want to have something stable, 24/7 for one month before being
> restarted and not very noisy with low electricity consumption.
> I am also thinking of installing a redhat on it.
>
> These are just a few thoughts, tentatively.
>
> Anyone can give me some good ideas?
>
> Thanks for all the help in advanced!
>
> Hai

Scott