2009 Aug 15 19:32

[vox-tech] Linux and video chat

A list on the Web stated that the Logitech Quickcam Communicator MP
worked under Ubuntu right of the box.  Well, it did, at least in the
sense the things work with cheese.

My question is, how do with people on Windows machines who don't want to
download anything?  That eliminates Ekiga, for instance.

The documentation says that one can use Empathy to video chat with
people using Google Talk (which still doesn't have a Linux version).
I tried that, and the error on the other person's side said that GTalk
doesn't work with my platform. :-(  Gyagi (may have that spelled wrong)
is supposed to connect to Yahoo! Messenger, but it too had an error,
which stated that the version may be too old.  Skype gave a TCP/IP error
message, which according to the Web is pretty standard for Skype on
Linux.

Any suggestions?

Norm Matloff