2009 Aug 08 15:29

Re: [vox-tech] Kubuntu (KDE4) and power button

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 05:27:48PM -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:
> > Since my laptop had Ubuntu factory-installed, and hence started life
> > with GNOME, perhaps there's some GNOME setting that's getting picked
> > up by the ACPI script first.  (i.e., I'm telling KDE "do nothing," but
> > GNOME is telling it "shutdown", and it's NOT a matter of the ACPI script
> > hitting its "if all else failed, just initiate a plain shutdown" logic.)
>
> I doubt it. In Debian, at least, all of the acpi scripts are in
> desktop-neutral packages related specifically to power management. Run
> "dpkg -S /etc/acpi" and check whether there are any desktop-specific
> packages on Ubuntu that touch this, but it's probably kept separate.

Well, what I was saying was that /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh is a script which
appears to query GNOME, then KDE, then just give up and shutdown.

  # If gnome-power-manager, kpowersave or klaptopdaemon are running, let
  # them handle policy This is effectively the same as 'acpi-support's
  # '/usr/share/acpi-support/policy-funcs' file.
  # Otherwise, if KDE is found, try to ask it to logout.
  # If KDE is not found, just shutdown now.
  # If all else failed, just initiate a plain shutdown.

I'm going to try and comment out the /sbin/shutdown at the end
(after that 'als else failed').