2009 Jul 10 16:35

Re: [vox-tech] Invisible widgets in Java applets?

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 07:01:35PM -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:
>> Please tell us the output of
>> $ update-alternatives --list firefox-javaplugin.so
>
>   /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>   /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
>

>> If it's not a Sun JDK, you would need to use update-alterantives
>> --configure (as root) on the appropriate alternative (which I think
>> would be firefox-javaplugin.so, but I'm not sure because there are also
>> several others for java plugins), to make the Sun version be the version
>> your browser uses.
>
> So sounds like it's the Sun JDK.

Sun JDK works for me with firefox-3.0 and 3.5 on jaunty both with 32 and 64
bit systems.  Do you listen to the suggestions when you install a package?
For instance when you install java it often suggests latex-xft-fonts.  I can
see a problem like that causing java to get confused and stop rendering things.

What exactly is the failure mode?

Other possibilities include running out of off screen memory for pixmaps,
graphics driver bugs and the like.

Just to be paranoid you might want to add a user and try again, this removes
per user configuration and might show problems with permissions.