2009 Jun 24 11:48

Re: [vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 07:54:49PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:
> Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting Bill Broadley (bill@cse.ucdavis.edu):
> >
> >> [...] I think it's a particularly bad idea to as Karsten's page says
> >> make the basic recommendation for 6 partitions.  If you read his page
> >> it looks like he's pretty strong on /boot and swap partitions as well.
> >                                       ^^^^^
> >
> > This is factually incorrect.  As Karsten said, you seem to be imputing
> > rather than reading.

What is the difference between "factually incorrect" and "incorrect"?
Or, could it be "logically correct", which would mean a completely
different thing?

> Sure, if you have a similar system like that in production, even then it seems
> like a fair number of mistakes are made, like you are Karsten occasional
> reinstalls and use the use.  IMO as far as maintenance, robustness, and
> sustainability are concerned that many (>= 6) are worse than few (<=4)
> partitions are having to resort to ln -s is particularly evil, ruins
> performance and makes it harder to maintain the machine.

Why wouldn't you just use lvm to expand your partition and ext2resize to
expand it? These tools can be run on a live system. I have done it a
__few__ times. When a partition fills up, just add more space to it.

> >> The page also makes a few mentioned of ro, seems a bit silly.  So if
> >> only root can write to /usr, and root can remount rw what are you
> >> protection from?
> >
> > In short:  yourself.  It's saved me from shooting myself in the foot
> > quite a number of times.  Once again, both Karsten and I already
> > addressed this point, so your posing the question yet again seems to be
> > solely polemics.

I thought backups are for when you shoot yourself in the foot.

--
Brian Lavender
"LVM is king!"