2009 Jun 24 11:48

Re: [vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bill Broadley (bill@cse.ucdavis.edu):
>
>> [...] I think it's a particularly bad idea to as Karsten's page says
>> make the basic recommendation for 6 partitions.  If you read his page
>> it looks like he's pretty strong on /boot and swap partitions as well.
>                                       ^^^^^
>
> This is factually incorrect.  As Karsten said, you seem to be imputing
> rather than reading.

Er, right in the bold 3rd paragraph he mentions /boot, he mentioned in in the
why partition paragraph... twice.  In fact he mentioned /boot as 4th most
important partition ahead of /tmp, /var, /home, and /usr/local.  He mentioned
/boot a dozen or so times, and it's in his examples that he lists.

So what is factually incorrect again?

>> The flip side is that it requires specialized knowledge (quick, what's
>> the optimal /var, /usr, /usr/local for a particular distribution? )
>> that's often basically unknowable.
>
> And yet a trained monkey can do "df -h" on a similar installed system,
> to guesstimate the target requirement for the system's projected life.

Sure, if you have a similar system like that in production, even then it seems
like a fair number of mistakes are made, like you are Karsten occasional
reinstalls and use the use.  IMO as far as maintenance, robustness, and
sustainability are concerned that many (>= 6) are worse than few (<=4)
partitions are having to resort to ln -s is particularly evil, ruins
performance and makes it harder to maintain the machine.

>> The page also makes a few mentioned of ro, seems a bit silly.  So if
>> only root can write to /usr, and root can remount rw what are you
>> protection from?
>
> In short:  yourself.  It's saved me from shooting myself in the foot
> quite a number of times.  Once again, both Karsten and I already
> addressed this point, so your posing the question yet again seems to be
> solely polemics.

That wasn't my intent, hopefully you can accept sleep deprivation and losing
track of all the details instead of malice.

>> Sure things like putting /tmp on a ram disk sounds like a great idea,
>
> Again this was _not_ among Karsten's recommendations.

That one is my fault, he said "shm (shared memory) virtual disk", I could have
sworn he said ram disk, but when I go back he was clear, correct, and
reasonable on this point.