2009 Jun 23 13:34

Re: [vox-tech] help with xorg.conf

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 12:39 -0700, Thomas Johnston wrote:
> I tried using xrandr but had no luck (see example below).  At best
> when I would restart the machine, kdm would fail to launch.  That is,
> I would boot to a text only login prompt.  I would have to login,
> comment out the offending SubSection Display and restart.
>
> I am wondering if I might need to remove everything associated with x
> and reinstall.  And, if that is a smart thing to do, how would I go
> about doing that?

Please send us the Xorg.log file (probably in /var/log/Xorg.0.log) from
the broken run.

Then move xorg.conf out of the way so that the X server doesn't even
look for one. Try that, attach the log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log), and tell
us the output of the xrandr command. X server technology has recently
gotten to the point where you shouldn't need an xorg.conf anymore, so
let's see what it can figure out on its own.

--Ken