2009 Jun 17 15:15

Re: [vox-tech] Need Partitioning Advice

What I did with my new Eee PC (160GB hard drive) was to create an 8GB
root partition, 8GB for /tmp, 2GB for swap, and the rest for /opt
(except for Win98 and a couple of OEM partitons that I wanted to leave
there).  /home is a symbolic link pointing to /opt/home.

/tmp is separate for a few reasons.  One, if it fills up the system
will still run.  Two, there's never a need to back it up.  Three, when
I want to upgrade or switch to another distribution, I can re-purpose
/tmp as the new root filesystem, and still have the old one available
until the new one is fully configured and functional.

I created /opt instead of /home because there are some things I want
to preserve on an OS upgrade in addition to stuff in /home.

My Ubuntu root partition is currently 43% full, so I'm happy with the
choice of 8GB.

Rod