2009 Jun 04 16:38

Re: [vox-tech] firewall issue?

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 06:16:54PM -0400, Hai Yi wrote:
> hello there:
>
> I have installed a jboss instance on my linux/ubuntu, and i changed
> its server port to 9080 to avoid a conflict with my http apache
> server.
>
> I can see the jboss welcome page from the browser by typing
> "http://localhost:9080/";, but i couldn't see it from another Windows
> machine in the intranet ("http://zodiac:9080";), I can see the apache
> page ("http://zodiac/";) though.
>
> I guess it's because the firewall rule set on the linux machine
> fitering out incoming package other than port 80. I think it has sth
> to do with iptables, is my guess correct? If so, how may I see those
> rules and change them?

The raw command to see your firewall rules is:
iptables -L -n

However, since you don't have a recollection of setting up a firewall, I'm
going to guess that Ubuntu's default firewall, ufw, is managing your
iptables configuration.

I'm not very familiar with it, but if the command 'ufw status' returns
something other than 'inactive' then
sudo ufw allow 9080
should make that port available.

A safer way of doing that is to limit access to hosts on your LAN:
sudo ufw allow proto tcp from 192.168.0.0/24 to any port 9080

Obviously, adjust the "from" for your network numbers.

Everything I just wrote came from here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFirewall
At the bottom of this page under more information are ufw guides for recent
Ubuntu releases.

-t