2009 May 09 08:29

Re: [vox-tech] Converting to Kubuntu

On Tue 05 May 09,  8:17 AM, Chris Jenks <chris@jenks.us> said:

> On Sat, 2 May 2009, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > This summer I plan on building a new workstation and I think I'm going to
> > install Kubuntu instead of Debian.
> >
> > Has anyone here made this switch?  Any thoughts or comments about whether
> > Kubuntu met/didn't meet your expectations?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Pete
>
>    Several years ago I started switching my workstations from debian to
> ubuntu and have been happy. The only comments I would add to everything
> already said is that I recommend going with the more stable Intrepid
> version (8.10) rather than the version released last week (Jaunty, 9.04).
> Two of my four worstations had serious issues with the new release. A
> month from now 9.04 should be pretty stable.
>    Regular (Gnome desktop) ubuntu comes with an alternate install CD which
> uses debian's ancient, robust text-based installer. If kubuntu has this
> too I think you will be much happier with this than with the graphical
> installer, which is much slower and less flexible. However, if you just
> want to see what the kubuntu will look like and that it will work, the
> graphical install CD will also produce a working KDE desktop environment
> run from the CD itself.
>
> Chris

Thank you for such great responses, everyone.

I definitely plan on installing K/Ubuntu as soon as classes are over (and I
think I'll take Chris's advice on the installer because I'm pretty sure he's
spot on with that).

Truth be told, I'm desktop agnostic.  I currently still use Enlightenment,
but am going to force myself to switch to a desktop manager.  Gnome looks
prettier IMO, but I'm more familiar with KDE (and have heard it's more
configurable, but that's not always a good thing).  I guess I'll base my
decision on the installer.  :)

Pete

Last night I dreamt of 09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today   p@dirac.org
is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent  http://www.dirac.org
are full of doubt"   ---   Bertrand Russell