2009 Apr 26 18:55

Re: [vox-tech] Xorg high CPU usage in Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) - DellInspiron 1525 w/ Intel 965GM chip

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 09:47:40PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> After upgrading to the latest Ubuntu (9.04 aka Jaunty), my system has
> been VERY sluggish.  Videos didn't play back properly.  Xorg was chewing
> up a minimum of 30% CPU almost all the time, even if nothing was going on...
> even if I disabled the compositing effects in KDE4's Kwin window manager.
>
> This seemed to help :)
>
>   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4
>
> I'm still a bit annoyed at how sluggish this one year old laptop is
> getting to be, and am starting to wonder if I should just switch to
> command-line all the time, or maybe Xfce.

It does sound a bit suspicious. Mine is blazing fast. I am not running
the KDE though, but I am sure it would have no problem. RAM is cheap
these days. Have you considered going to 4 Gigs?

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/