2009 Apr 22 13:04

Re: [vox-tech] Window Managers

At school (Sac State) we log into a CENTOS system running GNOME, or I
believe you can select your own Window Manager, and all seems to work
fine. I hate VNC though. I haven't found a way for Alt-tab to work
except with TightVNC, click the Alt key and then select Tab. Which still
doesn't really work. The Alt-tab always go to the local host.

RDP seems to work a whole lot better. There isn't an RDP server for
GNU/Linux, is there?

Isn't there a light weight X server out there for Winblows?

brian

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:47:37AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> Thanks Orson... good suggestions though I'm pretty much OK with
> VNC performance.  Was mostly concerned about gumming up server
> performance with needless processes and memory consumption.
>
> Rod
>
> Orson Jones wrote:
> > Actually, the problem with vnc is a bit different than the problem of
> > minimal system resources. (ram/cpu) You might be better off going with
> > the standard gnome install, but selecting visual settings that are
> > easily compressed for vnc. Go to System > Preferences > Appearance. Mist
> > is a fairly lightweight (visually) theme. Set the background to a solid
> > color. Change the fonts to Monochrome. (If you can stand it anyway.) You
> > might also disable the display of icons on the desktop.
> > http://edivad.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/gnome-hide-desktop-icons/
> > Set the number of workspaces to only one and removing the workspace
> > switcher will help also.
> >
> > Orson

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/