2009 Apr 21 11:11

Re: [vox-tech] tags with mutt

On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 17:46 -0400, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> FireFox and GMail have sort-of recently (past year) converted me from the
> directory paradigm to the tag paradigm.
>
> Is there a way to use tags with email and mutt?
>
> I might be able to roll my own system if there's a convenient way to add a
> header line to the email (I'd rather not do control-E and hand write the
> header line -- after all, tagging is to increase efficiency/convenience).
>
> Is there a way to maybe type control-t, then type something like
> "linux,email,tags" and have the header

> added to the headers?
>
> Then when I delete, I can probably use some kind of hook to save the
> email-to-be-deleted to a backup file.
>
> Maybe an email tagged as "spam" could be auto-fed into bogofilter and
> deleted without backing it up...

http://madduck.net/blog/2006.09.08:mutt-tagging/ discusses this problem.
He hasn't found a perfect solution yet, but he says that
http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/mutt-tagging/ comes close.

I think an even better solution might be to create a LUFS filesystem to
expose a single mail directory as a collection of directories
representing tags, and to propagate updates automatically, but I don't
care enough to build such a thing. The plus side of this solution would
be that it would work with any mail client, and you could even expose
the results via an IMAP server.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/