January 6: Social gathering
2009 Apr 09 21:35

Re: [vox-tech] Utility to image a hard drive

Re: [vox-tech] Utility to image a hard drive

Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev@wildintellect.com):

> There's also a text based tool called backup ninja which writes the
> rsync scripts for you and several rysnc gui's to help teach you the
> syntax which can be tricky, grsync.

I have to admit, I really don't get this -- but, on the other hand,
haven't tried 'em.  Plain old rsync always struck me as blessedly simple.
"rsync -avz olddirectory newdirectory" Just Plain Works -- and
generalises to
"rsync -avz olddirectory username@newhost:newdirectory" for network
copying (esp. if you set RSYNC_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh).

There are options you use rarely, such as:

    --delete   #Update destination dirs to remove files no longer needed
    --exclude=PATTERN
    --exclude-from=FILE
...but I need those only rarely, and look 'em up when I do.