2009 Apr 08 23:36

Re: [vox-tech] Utility to image a hard drive

Thomas Johnston wrote:
> I installed Debian (lenny) on my laptop last week and it is my first
> exposure to Linux.  I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for
> a utility to "image" my laptop's hard drive to an external drive.  I
> would like to perform some kind of complete system backup now that I
> have the absolute essentials working.  There are lots of tweaks that I
> would like to try (nvidia graphics driver, sleep/resume functionality,
> etc, etc.), but I am certain that I will wind up royally screwing
> things up.  If possible, I would like to avoid spending another week
> just getting back to where I am now.

	Warning: I have not used this utility yet so I have no idea how
	good it really is.

	http://www.clonezilla.org/
	Clonezilla
<quote>
You're probably familiar with the popular proprietary commercial package
Norton Ghost®, and its OpenSource counterpart, Partition Image. The
problem with these software packages is that it takes a lot of time to
massively clone systems to many computers. You've probably also heard of
Symantec's solution to this problem, Symantec Ghost Corporate Edition®
with multicasting. Well, now there is an OpenSource clone system (OCS)
solution called Clonezilla with unicasting and multicasting!
</quote>

	Again, I have not used Clonezilla so I have no knowledge on
	how good it is. With that said, I know a number of people who
	have used 'Ghost' and loved it. If Clonezilla is as good as
	Ghost it should do what you want.

							Tony