2009 Apr 08 16:02

[vox-tech] Fwd: Trouble installing Matlab in Debian (lenny)

Thomas, you subscribed with an @ucdavis address, but the post below
came from an @gmail addr. ;)

Fwd'ing on your behalf...

----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces@lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:48:28 -0700
From: Thomas Johnston <trjohnston@gmail.com>
Subject: Trouble installing Matlab in Debian (lenny)
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org

I attended the LUGOD social gathering yesterday evening and
some of the members suggested I pitch my question here.

I converted to Linux (Debian lenny) about 1 week ago and attempted to
install Matlab.  I have an ISO of the Matlab CD on my hard drive.  I
mount the ISO and attempt to install the software by issuing the
command:

sh install

The error that is generated reads:

An error status was returned by the program 'xsetup', the X Window
System version of 'install'. The following messages were written to
standard error:

No protocol specified
Can't open display.

Attempt to fix the problem and try again.  If X is not available or
'xsetup' cannot be made to work then try the terminal version of
'install' using the command:

install* -t or INSTALL* -t

Sorry! Setup aborted ...

Yes, the install attempt was done while under root.  I could not find a
relevant fix via a Google search nor in the archived tech messages on
this mailing list.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

"Speak slowly, I am windows user."