2009 Mar 11 19:14

[vox-tech] VMWare Linux client - how to notice screen resize?

[vox-tech] VMWare Linux client - how to notice screen resize?

At work, I'm using CentOS 5.2 running as a VMWare client on a Windows XP host. CentOS has Gnome running by default, which runs the window manager Metacity by default.

VMWare, like other virtual machine apps, provides a set of client-side functionality that allows things such as client-to-host copy/paste. The particular function I am interested in is the bit that handles the virtual machine's window being resized. When the window is resized, there's some magic that makes X realize it should resize its root window.

This all works. Metacity somehow catches wind of the resizing. When the X root window is resized, Metacity resizes all its workspaces. If it has to, it moves and resizes its own client windows so everything shows up on the resized X root window.

Of course, I want to be difficult. I don't like Gnome; I use the Ion3 window manager. Ion3 does not, unfortunately, catch the same hint that Metacity catches.

I assume that the X server is sending some signal that Metacity catches. Does anybody have any clue what that signal is? If I can figure that out, I can hopefully patch Ion3 to handle it.

--
Bryan Richter