2009 Feb 26 12:35

Re: [vox-tech] Insomniac laptop (was Hard drive dying?)

Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
>> BK> Yes, this laptop has the habit of heating up, esp. when it's closed.
>> BK> (i.e., I'm not even interacting with it!)
>>
>> They're really not designed to run with the lid closed (ever).
>>
>> I actually had a co-worker that shut their lid and thought it slept and
>> put it into their backpack and walked around for an hour.  It was
>> "blazing hot" when they pulled it out and amazingly didn't have any
>> problems.
>
> I unfortunately have such an insomniac laptop. I think that it's likely
> that the lid button is too sensitive to bumps, and would like to know if
> there's a way to work around this in software. (e.g. if the computer
> wakes up to find that the lid button is closed, put the computer back to
> sleep automatically.)
>
> Any tips?
>
> --Ken

The tried and true method is to turn it off. If you really care about
fast load times, get a solid state and be done with it.

I long since gave up on using any of the sleep,hibernate etc modes as
they are simply unreliable. Even if they work one day, a few updates
later always seems to break them. Case, how many windows xp desktops do
you know of that can still properly go sleep and come back. Every one I
ever worked on had that feature stop working somewhere between years 1
and 3.

You could always physically hack you laptop and replace the lid sensor
with a physical switch of some kind.

Alex