January 6: Social gathering
2009 Feb 26 08:54

Re: [vox-tech] Hard drive dying?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 09:50:29AM -0800, Wes Hardaker wrote:
> It does look like your temperature got a bit hot at some point, which is
> bad.

Yes, this laptop has the habit of heating up, esp. when it's closed.
(i.e., I'm not even interacting with it!)

Sometimes I'll go to use it and it appears that the screen's backlight
didn't go off when I closed it. >:^(

> It also looks like the drive is quite old (according to it) but you
> already mentioned that.

I bought the laptop less than a year ago!!!  (June '08?)

> Once you've backed up the data, running a full self-test is probably a
> good thing (it generally takes hours to complete and you have to read
> the output of smartctl -a to get the results).
>
> smartctl --test=long /dev/xxx
>
> /me waits for solid state devices to be come the norm

Yeah, they still have their problems, apparently.  (Fragmentation issues
or somesuch.)