2009 Feb 25 14:32

Re: [vox-tech] Hard drive dying?

BK> Attached as an attachment...  Looks like a bunch of
BK> "Pre-fail" and "Old-age" reports...?

the output of smartctl can be tricky (at best) to read.  The
Pre-fail/old-age report column is the *type* of report and doesn't mean
that it is failing or old.  It's when the condition will occur.

The other hard thing to read is the value/worst/thresh columns.  You
have to study each one along with the name to truly understaind it :-/

It does look like your temperature got a bit hot at some point, which is
bad.

It also looks like the drive is quite old (according to it) but you
already mentioned that.

Once you've backed up the data, running a full self-test is probably a
good thing (it generally takes hours to complete and you have to read
the output of smartctl -a to get the results).

smartctl --test=long /dev/xxx

/me waits for solid state devices to be come the norm