2009 Feb 21 16:06

Re: [vox-tech] Help with USB Hard drive

chris wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 17:53 -0800, Bill Broadley wrote:
>
>> Er, there is recovery, it's called, er, umm, chkdsk or something?u are I think
>> there's a fsck.vfat as well.
>
>    chkdsk is only good for saving readable text, if it is .exe you want
> back then you are mostly screwed.

Really, I don't recall such restrictions, but it's been a very long time so
I'll just blame my memory.  fsck.vfat mentions fixing quite a few things.

> journal roll back will only lose that
> data recently added, instead of the entire fs.

As mentioned, that's the theory, if everything is perfect.  Alas the real
world means that block numbers, contents, messages, drivers, etc during an
issue (like a power supply failure, brownout) or even just a driver bug.  It
could even be something as subtle as a vibration.

> So basicly, save oven and
> make plenty copies.

Sure, rsync, backups, version control etc.  The way I do things like this is:
* Email keep it on server, backup the server (backuppc in my cse)
* source code remote subversion server (again backed up by backuppc)
* Important non-source code related files rsync

The rest... when it dies I consider it house cleaning.