2009 Feb 20 19:03

Re: [vox-tech] Help with USB Hard drive

Scott Miller wrote:
> Hey yeah FAT32 is not journaling either, so if there is every a power
> blip or cut of connection there is zero recovery from the file system
> (if that is a concern).

Er, there is recovery, it's called, er, umm, chkdsk or something?  I think
there's a fsck.vfat as well.

Speaking of which another of my pet peeves/rants.  Journals rely on perfectly
reliable hardware, drivers, cables, and software.  Unfortunately the real
world isn't so kind.  So the reality is that the periodic fsck gives a much
stronger statement of a file systems integrity than a simple journal unroll.

Based on my experience the quality of the file system and hardware is hugely
more important than the existence or lack of journaling.  In fact if anything
I've seen more issues with xfs and reiser than I have with ext2 or ext3
(percentage wise, not in absolute terms).

I'm not against journals and run ext3 most commonly, but journals are mostly
about quick boot/mount times, not safer, and actually they tend to less safe.